Post-doctors are important components of young talents, the new and reserve force of scientific and technological innovation and national strategy. Shandong University warmly welcomes young talents to join us in the full-time post-doctoral research fellowships and apply the Post-doctoral International Exchange Program of 2023 through SDU. Applications are open all year round.
I. Strength of Shandong University
Shandong University, or SDU–under the direct jurisdiction of the Ministry of Education–is a key comprehensive university with a long and honorable history, a broad variety of disciplines, strong academic strength and distinctive characteristics, which has had a great influence both at home and abroad. In 2017, SDU was chosen as one of the first group of China's high-level universities to be listed in the double first-class university program released by the central government of China.
(I) Advantages of Academic Disciplines
Shandong University is a comprehensive university in China with full-fledged academic disciplines. There are at present 44 first-level doctorate programs and 1 second-level doctorate program, based on which the university has established 42 post-doctoral research-oriented work stations in Jinan, Weihai and Qingdao since 1991 and newly established 2 post-doctoral practice-oriented work stations in the two affiliated hospitals of SDU in 2020 and 2022 respectively.
Shandong University has developed by leaps and bounds in recent years. At present, 19 subjects have been listed in the top one percent of subjects in the Essential Science Indicators (ESI), an index showing the competitiveness of a subject published by the Institute for Scientific Information. In addition, five of the university’s subjects–chemistry, engineering, material sciences, clinical medicine, pharmacology and toxicology– were listed in the top 1‰ in the ESI rankings. The SDU’s newly developed disciplines such as financial mathematics, crystal materials, condensed matter physics, colloid and surface chemistry, microbiology, reproductive medicine, cardiovascular, cerebrovascular function repair, new drug manufacturing, machinery, underground engineering and Chinese classical studies have all risen to the first-class level within the country and some are even known abroad.
(II) Advantages of Scientific Research Platforms
Shandong University boasts 26 state-level scientific research platforms and bases. It is also home to 4 key social science research bases approved by the Ministry of Education, 51 ministerial level platforms and more than 150 provincial key laboratories and provincial engineering technology research centers.
The key research platforms of Shandong University are as follows:
II. Eligibility Requirements
1. Applicants should abide by academic ethnics and are expected to be of good conduct and of both physical and mental health.
2. Applicants should be under the age of 35 and be either in the final year of PhD study or within 3 years after having received doctoral degree from a high-level university or research institute at home or abroad.
3. Applicants should demonstrate strong academic and scientific research abilities and potentials.
4. Research projects of the applicants for post-doctoral fellowship should be cutting-edge, innovative and feasible.
5. Applicants are expected to devote at least 21 months full-time to their post-doctoral research at SDU.
6. Applicants should also meet the specific eligibility requirements of the work station applying for.
III. Benefits and Support Policies
(I) Salaries and Subsidies
The post-doctoral research fellowships of Shandong University are classified into three categories as follows. Competitive annual salaries are provided in accordance with each category.
Note: Applicants can consult the school or institute for other benefits and subsidies sponsored by co-professors and work stations (refer to the appendix for contact).
(II) Supports from Local Governments
Note: Please refer to Jinan Talent Website (http://rc.jinan.gov.cn/read.jsp?md=3&infoId=2421) and the website of Qingdao Municipal Bureau of Human Resources and Social Security (https://hrss.qingdao.gov.cn/zcfg_47/zcwj_47/202206/t20220613_6134451.shtml) for detailed eligibility requirements.
(III) Other Benefits
IV. Career Path
(I) National Programs and Funds
Post-doctors of SDU are encouraged to apply for National Natural Science Foundation of China and the National Social Science Foundation of China. Eligible young scholars are also encouraged to apply for appropriate national talent programs.
(II) Programs and Funds Especially for Post-doctors
1. National Post-doctoral Innovative Talent Support Program: 630,000 RMB from Ministry of Human Resources and Social Security in total for 2 years (including 400,000 living allowance + 200,000 scientific research subsidy + 30,000 international exchange subsidy) and relavant supporting policy of SDU .
2. Post-doctoral International Exchange Program:
(1) Project for introduced young talents from overseas: 600,000 RMB in total for 2 years (including 400,000 RMB from Ministry of Human Resources and Social Security and 200,000 RMB from SDU);
(2) Project for post-doctors going abroad for exchange: 300,000 RMB;
(3) Project for post-doctors going to Hong Kong for exchange: 360,000 RMB and 439,200 HKD in total;
(4) Project for post-doctors going to Macao for exchange: 360,000 RMB and 420,000 MOP in total;
(5) Project for post-doctors going to the subordinate research institutes of German Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers: 300,000 RMB in total from Ministry of Human Resources and Social Security and 1,500 EUR per month from German institutes.
3. China Post-doctoral Science Foundation:
(1) Special Program: 150,000 or 180,000 RMB;
(2) General Program: 80,000 RMB for natural science study and 50,000 RMB for social science study.
4. Shandong Provincial Post-doctoral Innovative Talent Support Program: at least 300,000 RMB annual salary and abundant scientific research subsidies (200,000 RMB for natural science study and 100,000 RMB for social science study).
5. Shandong Provincial Post-doctoral Innovation Project: 100,000 RMB for the first level, 50,000 RMB for the second level, and 30,000 RMB for the third level.
Note: Please refer to the official websites for policy updates.
(III) Outstanding Post-doctors can be recruited as Teaching Faculty of SDU
1. For Special-Funded Post-doctors:
Post-doctors can apply for teaching positions of SDU up to Qilu Young Scholar Program when completing their research tasks successfully.
2. For Key-Funded and General-Funded Post-doctors:
Post-doctors can participate in the job recruitment of appropriate schools and institutes of SDU when completing their research tasks successfully.
V. Selection Procedures
1. Application. Applicants should submit a brief cover letter, a CV and corresponding supporting materials of academic achievements within recent 3 years. E-mails are expected be sent to each work station directly (refer to the appendix for contact);
2. Eligibility assessment. Work stations review and assess the eligibility of the applicants;
3. Academic and morality evaluation. The academic committees at the primary will evaluate applicants’ academic and scientific research abilities and potentials. And the primary Party organizations will evaluate the applicants’ ideological and moral conditions.
4. Selection. General-Funded and Key-Funded Fellowship will judged and determined at the primary level, Candidates for the Special-Funded Fellowship will be recommended to the university level for determination;
5. Reporting for Work. Candidates who get the offer should report arrival at the work station and start working within 3 months.
(I) Jinan Campuses
Contact staff: Mr. Zhu, Ms. Si, and Ms. Ma
Tel.: 0531-88369918, 0531-88366036
Room 512, Post-doctoral Office,
B Block of the Mingde Building,
No. 27 Shanda South Road, Shandong University
(II) Weihai Campus
Contact staff: Ms. Song
Room 410, Post-doctoral Office
The Hanguang Building,
No. 180 Wenhua West Road, Shandong University
(III) Qingdao Campus
Contact staff: Ms. Duan
Room 405, Post-doctoral Office
West Block of the Huagang Building,
No. 72 Binhai Road, Shandong University
Appendix: Recruitment Plan of SDU Post-doctoral Work Stations